Announcing the FairTSA
New Standard Version 4.0
First, we would like to thank all those who have commented and gave input. Secondly, we would like to ensure all partners that there are no immediate changes necessary and we will ensure a smooth and reasonable transition.
Please note: There will be a one-year transition period where certification under Standard Version 3.2 is still permissible. Here are some of the new features:
• We reorganized and reformatted the standard so that it is easier to reference.
• The readability of the standard was improved without making it too complex, so that an interested layperson would be able to understand the main requirements.
• All ILO conventions are referenced in our labor requirements to increase clarity.
• We kept the structure with a separate Guide for Inspection and Certification, which gives additional guidance and clearly defines major non-compliances. It also defines sanctions more precisely to maintain fairness among all certified operations regardless of the certification agency, and at the same time makes the job for inspectors and reviewers easier. This structure also improves readability of the standard.
• The requirements for Social Responsibility certification are considerably easier to discern.
• We are also introducing new certification options for textile operations, with one based on the Global organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and another based on the Global Recycled Standard.
• In addition, we are introducing a new logo on a test basis for Socially Responsible Processing of non-food products. We do this to support smaller processors and manufacturers and let them participate in our lean and inexpensive certification system. We will closely monitor the development of this program part.